Friday, August 3, 2018

I have to say, I'm loving the quiet.  

There is space in my life... even after a mere 24 hours of a social media fast.  there is space and it's a delightful quiet.  

Except for my dogs barking, that is.  They love to alert me when John comes back from the gym or his mens group... I'm just thankful they are watching out for me, when I'm home. 

But what does it mean to be still and listen?  Sometimes our gut says to fill up the space.  Obsess over the futile, add in voices that don't matter and issues that don't need attention.  Those complicated mentally nurtured issues are like weeds, in the garden of my mind.

Why do we pick at them.... 

I've heard it said you can't worry and have faith at the same time.  I think that is totally true, as I've tried to do it and it's impossible.  Oh, I can be an expert in worry.  Those pesky things are weeds in a starring role in the worry garden and I am a master gardener.  I come by it honest, I had a grandmother that I loved so but boy could she fret and worry about stuff.  It's taken me a long time to nurture trust instead.

Even though I know without a doubt, that God is in control.  My temptation to pick at the weeds is insatiable at times.  However, when I turn down the noise, set aside the first part of my day to quiet and pray, and to seek God, the temptation dissipates and I'm surrounded by the joy of knowing He already proved He's trustworthy.   He has my best interest at heart, and proved it by loving me enough to send His son to suffer and die on my behalf.  Sometimes I don't understand the why's of situations, but I've learned to trust that His ways are higher than my ways.  My mind cannot comprehend His plan or His ways. 

1 Thessalonians says it this way:
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.
23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment